View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Freighttrain
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Brians Truck service and Jasper are all still just good ol E4ODs just with some upgrades.Brians makes them bullet proof,Jasper makes them just reliable.You would be hard pressed to blow either of them up.Since this truck will only be a cruiser and tower I would get a jasper.Ford really didn't design these thing too well due to time constraints.They had to have something to meet gov't red tape.Later Ford took most of the upgrades and the original design and built a new tranny.Forgot the name but it was in the later year Powerstrokes and gassers(Think 97 or 98 for the PS).The reasons for the E4OD trannys failure is the oiling system.The fluid must get pumped from the Torque converter on the front all the way to the back without any hard lines.There is one support bushing in the middle and when it start to wear the pressures start to drop and the rear of the tranny gets starved for lubrication.Bad things happen to spinning metal chunks when the few microns of oil between them suddenly disappears.But,this is one thing Jasper upgrades,They put a line going from front to rear so fluid can make it back there even after the tranny start to wear.
Another boo boo was the use of aluminum carriers for the Planetary gears.Aluminum gets brittle when it is worked and tends to break.I think Jasper replaces them with steel carrier Planets.
Finally,The Torque converter.The really dumb boo boo.Ford didn't weld the guts,they just folded the metal together with slots and tabs.not sure what Jasper sends but they say the front plate is thicker so it isn't a stock ford.But the price has gone up since I got a local rebuild.It is now $2300 and you have to have it installed.

There is another option.....You could drive all the way up here to Gadsden and have Frost Transmission rebuild your tranny.They did mine for $1500.Only took 2 days.They had to basically change over ALL the junk I have spoke about in both posts.They do great work and even let me walk back to see my tranny.....or what was once my tranny.They had it spread out on 2 tables and 3 Grocery carts.What ever you decide,get a shift kit put in it.It will make it shift a little harder(but no where near as hard as the Limp mode your so in tune with right now) but it gets rid of another problem with the E4OD.The sluggish,slow shifts that tend to create A LOT of heat which burns the fluid.