View Single Post
Old 11-16-2001, 06:11 AM
mrfix
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-250 Cold Start Engine Knock

When I took delivery on the truck, I drove it home and checked the oil, it was below the dip stick. I had the dealer come out to my home and put 3 quarts of oil in it. The next morning I drove 18 miles to work and checked the oil, it was 1/2 quart low, I had the dealer come to my work and put oil in the truck and document the level. They told me that it was normal and all V-10's used about a quart of oil per 500 miles for the 1st 8000 miles. Not acceptable to me. I have to climb a steep hill to get home, every time I went up the hill the truck would start to smoke, knock loud and had a lot of pre-ignition. after many trips to the dealer without success I decided to figure this out. with 300 miles on the truck, I pulled the PCV hose off of the fitting and lube oil started running out, I stuck a boroscope into the oil fill hole and could not find any oil returns. I went back to the dealer and they didn't believe me, they told me that the truck was fine and if I really had a problem to let it come apart. I just paid over $40,000 for a truck and I'm suppose to "let it come apart", I don't think so, I left it at the dealer and told them they had 24 hours to tell me they would give me a new truck and my lawyer would be there at 4:00 PM the next day to arrange the paper work, then I left. they called me in 1/2 hour to tell me they found the problem and were going to put an engine in my truck. I told them I wanted a new truck, ford said no way, I call and wrote many letters to ford with no answer or success. I ended up with a new engine, 5 year 75,000 mile warranty and a bad feeling toward ford. The only reason I got what I got, was the dealer. If you have a problem with your truck, ya better find a good dealer because ford just takes your money and closes the door on ya. If you havet a problem, get a lawyer. V-10's don't use oil between oil changes and they don't knock, if ya got a problem, address it quickly, if ya let it go, you will own it. Good luck with your truck.