View Single Post
Old 11-15-2001, 06:00 AM
mrfix
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-250 Cold Start Engine Knock

I have a 2001 excursion limited that didn't have oil return holes in the right cylinder head. I found this out at 59 miles on the odometer, ford would not give me a new truck, they wanted to tie my truck up for a long time while we debated the issue. I agreed to let them put a new V-10 in the truck and give me a 5 year 75,000 mile extended warranty on the entire truck, and I would only agree if the replacement was daone flawlessly. they did a great job, you can't even tell anyone ever put a wrech on the truck. I have 15000 miles on the engine now and the truck is great. Ford however is a very poor company to deal with. Once they get your bucks they don't want to hear from you.

As far as your cold start knock goes. When I change my oil I use motorcraft filters and 5-20 motorcraft oil. I have had a problem with the oil filters twice so far. The day after the oil change, the engine starts in the morning with a top end knock. I replace the new filter with another and the knock doesen't reoccurr. this has happened to me with 2 filters. It seem the antidrain back valve leaks by allowing the top end to drain back to the pan and promoting the dry start causing clatter. with the second filter the engine starts quietly. It's a bunch of crap, but I guess it's the price you pay for owning the toughest truck on the planet.

try changing the oil filter before you bring it in. good luck with your truck