View Single Post
Old 04-01-2004, 09:00 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
Not only is it a renewable resource, but I read somewhere that there is enough oil waste products to produce enough biodiesel for all the diesel engines currently operated in the country. That means we don't have to grow crops for biodiesel, just recycle.

johnsdiesel brought another point to mind. There is a difference between biodiesel and soy-diesel when people talk about them. Bio-diesel is an esterfied vegetable or animal oil. To be classified as esterfied the crude vegetable oil must be mixed with an alcohol and a catalyst that will neutralize the fatty acids and sugars. These fatty acids and sugars would be catastrophic to an internal combustion engine. The common definition of a soy-diesel is just a filtered and clarified crude vegetable oil. This form of soy-diesel is not recommended and will cause damage to an engine.
Our tests were run with a soybean oil biodiesel.
I agree with being able to recycle waste products, but I don't think it is a matter of having to grow the crops to produce soydiesel. The crops are going to be grown, as farmers we are trying to find a market for our product. Imagine at your job, that you never received a raise in the past 10-20 years, but everything else has inflated prices: bills, vehicles, about anything you can think of. As a farmer, that is the way it has been, prices for crops have not increased much at all over the past 10-20 years, we are still getting paid the same price per bushel of grain as we did back then. And for a farmer to stay in business, he'll just have to produce more crops to at least break even in finances. It's a vicious cycle and we are just trying to find more outlets for our crops to be used, and soy-biodiesel, as we see it, is a great opportunity.