View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
The truck was a 46 (I think) Chevy. The frontend was all metal. I believe that the owner/builder told me that the actuators (one on each side) were rated at 300 lbs each. The beauty of the design of the hinges is that there are no other actuators or mechanisms employed to move the frontend forward/back as opposed to up...it is all just one fluid motion. Since this is a Chevy truck, the back of the fenders sit on top of the running boards so that makes the fender/running board mating alot simpler.
I have more photos but they are just close-ups of the mechanism. I was ready to take some other photos but he dropped the frontend before I could take them. Other people were talking to him so I never got around to asking him to open the frontend again. Here is a link to the actuator website Electric Life - 98012 200LB LINEAR ACTUATOR WITH 12-INCH STROKE a 12 inch 200 lb unit is $225.
The engine bay is enclosed when the frontend is in place, the actuator/hinge mounting sits on top of the frame so the inner fenders are much more shallow than normal. If you look in the photo you can see the inner fenders up inside the doghouse. Here is a photo of a 46 Chevy truck, not the one at the show, one that came off the web. The one in my photos had a very nice extended cab and a super nice HOK candy apple red paint job with flames. I should have gotten more photos but I was more interested in the tilt mechanism than the rest of the truck.
Attached Images