View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 AM
New User

Bone Wallace is starting off with a positive reputation.
1978 F150 4x4 rebuild, with cummins..

Grandfather bought it back in 1978 used it only around the house and farm. Had 20k on it when my father got it, he put another 40-50k on it then I got it put a few more miles on it and it started getting a little long in the tooth. Bought a freightliner 200hp cummins p-pump. a518 trans mission, stock np205 tranfers case, and a whole lot of other odds and ends. Got started tearing it down about 4 weeks ago hoping to fire it up by Monday. I am going to throw up a bunch of pics to get everything caught up to where i am on it now.

My entire plan for the truck is to keep the rest of the truck stock just get enough power to pull a trailer and better fuel mileage than the original 460 in it. I am keeping the factory a/c on the truck replacing everything except the evaporator as apparently they no longer make it so hoping mine is good to go. Made a compressor bracket for the A/C because I didnt like any of the factory options on brackets or locations for it. Keeping the factory air compressor and hooking up an air dryer and tanks so I have portable air around the farm. (also planning to use the PTO off transfer case to hook up a generator so I have power also. much future) Running a vicker vane pump for power steering and hydrobrakes. Turned the pressure down to 1000psi from 3000psi, looked long and hard for a mechanical A518, finally found one, using an adjustable nitrous fuel safety switch to control over drive so I can adjust exactly where over drive shifts at. deep sump transmission pan, 40k gvw trans cooler, new alum rad, new condensor, 2000 ish ford intercooler, 4 inch of lift which I tried not to have to do but is really required to get enough clearance for me to feel good about the front driveshaft and starter relationship. Fatmat sound proofing (where I am currently at now) tore completely down to bare frame and coming back up.

Click the image to open in full size.

Motor when we picked it up, I say we but props to my brother for taking a weekend he had plans and picking this up and crating it to ship to me.

Finally got it here and did some degreasing and paint work

Front clip off truck trial fit to see what gets cut and replaced etc. also have the A/C compressor mounted in this pic, and my other brother photobombing the pic....

so far so good, fits better than anyone would ever think possible.

used ratchet straps to slowly position it where i wanted it from side to side etc so I could hold it there and make my mounts

side view pre hydroboost

Happy with the fit, mounts etc tear down has begun.

some more tear down carnage...

this joker is long with t case on it.

sand blasted front end

sand blasted rearend

sand blasted frame. Also welded all mounts solid, made crossmembers and did all welding while it was like this before painting. Did this all in one day and painted it as I dont like fresh sandblasting to set long as it tends to surface rust super fast.

starting to go back together with 4 inch lift

about there, someone forgot to order a drop pitman arm...

motor back in so I can tighten all mounts lines adjust tv cable etc etc before cab is back on

floors were great other than the A/C trail on the pass floor I replaced a small peice of it with some pin holes. maybe a 3 by 8 patch panel.

primer and etcher

candy apple red

firewall next, easier to do these and then set it on frame for rest just have to get enough I can cover motor and etc.

candy apple red firewall,

time to put it on, made a lift outa 4x4s and a 2x4, use forktruck and set it back on.

and its back. placed a 10x25 peice of 4 mil plastic over frame then cut and taped it to the body biscuits so it wouldnt be between cab mount and biscuit. now I can spray away and not worry about overspray on my frame or motor.

had to peek under the plastic some.

now to start on the IC fitment.

cant get over how well it fits

of course plenty of hood clearance

this thing looks smaller than the 460 now..

well not going to lie the IC fitment is probably the worse thing about the entire build, its pretty tight getting it in there without butchering a bunch of stuff...

but it will fit just take your time and do small things one at a time and keep fitting, still have to trim the grill and grill surround some but not a lot.

happy with IC fitment everything test fitted time for some new shine..

My likes

now bookoos of little aggrevating interior peices and sound deadener...