View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Could be a bad switch. But it could be the module. When/if it dies again, check for voltage on the positive side of the coil. You should see something like 6-8 volts, assuming the coil has about 1 ohm of resistance. If you don't have voltage then there is something failing in the supply side, like maybe the switch. And that may explain the hot wires - the switch itself is getting hot and heating the wires connected to it.

If you have voltage on the positive side of the coil then check the negative side. It should show basically zero volts as the DS box should have that side essentially grounded. If it is the same as the positive side it probably means the box is failing. But have someone crank the engine and watch the voltage on the negative side of the coil - it should bounce all over the map showing that the DS box is working.
That's just the kind of advice I needed to further look into this. Thanks a lot! The module is fairly new, so I hope it didn't go out already, but I know they have a notorious reputation of failing at the worst times. I appreciate all the help, thank you. I will check those things and report back.