View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Elder User

wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.
Weekend incident with Ol' Red

Stopped by my friends shop to change my leaky pinion seal on Saturday morning and on the way home noticed the steering started to pull hard to the right. It became even harder as I was driving so I pulled into the next parking lot to check it out. Turns out I had a right front tire go flat. The building next door from where I was located was a Goodyear so I drove it to their front door. The tire was chewed up enough to warrant a new one so I ended up buying two that were one size narrower than what I had (the right front was too close to the fender lip for comfort and since the previous tires were free I didn't feel so bad buying two new ones). When the mechanic/tire dude drove my Ol' Red around back he told me that it was leaking transmission fluid. When I took a look at it, it was the rack that was spewing the fluid. It turns out (no pun intended) that when I was cranking on the wheel to steer it into the parking lot the rack loosened up enough to pull on a line which made the fitting on the rack leak. I tried to re-tighten the fitting but it still leaks. Next stop, my other friends shop who has a lift so I can replace the o-ring on the fitting and get the rack dry again. To think how happy I was when the pinion seal replacement went so well.
I've got to admit though that I've been thrilled so far with how the truck is running and working, I love driving this truck. We even picked up six 80lb. bags of concrete and two pressure treated pieces of lumber last week.

Wally

"No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck"