View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Posting Guru

golfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
Question for those with the F-450 and heavy towing.

I have a friend with a 2011 F-450 with a Classy Chassis hauler bed (real nice BTW).
The bed adds about 1000 pounds over stock bed weight.
He has Firestone airbags.

He is a traveler, so the truck is packed with the essentials.
With his trailer hitched up and I'm guessing 3500+ of pin weight, the truck still has the sag, even with 55-60 PSI of air in the bags.

Anyone else experience this?
Duane, I would go up to 75 psi or so while loaded. My pin weight on my camper is around 3100 pounds and I run 35-40 psi in the bags and the F350 sits level, so he must have quite a bit more than 3500 or so. I would see if he could go by a CAT scale and weigh it loaded with truck's front and rear wheels on separate plates..as well as the trailer wheels. Then drop the trailer and just weigh the truck. Then subtract the rear axle weight of truck from the trailer/truck axle weight and it will give you the pin weight. I've seen people run 90psi on Firestone's before and they do fine. They are rated for 100psi, so anything under that I would think should be ok. The fact that his bed is already 1k pounds over the stock one will cause it to squat some. Before I added the onboard Viair system, I had to just play with the pressures to get the feel and look I wanted. Also, another thing he could do that is pretty cost effective, is change the rear blocks under the springs to the SRW 4" ones. That will raise the rear up for sure!

Dang MATT...I should've typed faster!! LOL
2012 Sandpiper 365 SAQ weighing in at 15k