View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 09:24 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a '96 plain jane F150 with the 300/6 also. It also was the most favorite of all the trucks I've had. Not that it was any more/less capable than what I've had since, but because of its simplicity. It was 100% work truck. I agree with the others that as years have progressed, trucks have been loaded with more frills but not cut down as to capacities and capabilities. My 96 couldn't possibly have safely towed 11000#. I had 2000# in the box a few times but it definitely sagged and wobbled a lot more than my 2011 F150 did. The marked has changed, people are getting softer and want more conveniences.

As for the low box sides vs high box sides, I actually liked the high box sides of the '04-current F150's. As a contractor I would like to take tools in the box sometimes rather than hauling the trailer everywhere. In the newer F150's I could get any of my tools in the box and close the tonneau cover. Pre 2004 that was not possible. Even in my 2014 F350 I get annoyed with the low box sides though I know they are low for 5th wheel towing purposes.

Another reason I like the high box sides and lack of accessibility from the side is it reduces the scratches and damage from people who can't seem to use the tailgate for loading...

Demographics are changing... In these parts, the number of farmers and carpenters who drive plain jane trucks are a minority...most of them are driving luxury vehicles.