View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 AM
08SDGal
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a 2013 Explorer Sport that just turned over 26K miles.

We have measured the mileage manually, and found it to be within .2, so it isn't worth the time and effort and making sure you go to the same station all the time, to do.

We have found the EPA average for city to be spot on. Our city driving is worst case scenario, being a small town, as the engine has a hard time warming up in the distances traveled. There are stop signs and lights and if you miss the first light, you are screwed. Once in town, hops from place to place are only a few tenths of a mile. Again, worst case scenario.

For highway mileage, we have found the EPA average to be a bit low, as long as we drive sanely. Once a week the hubby has to drive 120 miles, one way, to get to work. This is from 5000ft, down to 1300ft, up to 4500ft, and back down to 1100 feet, with a lot of up and down in between. Then back home is just that in reverse. We set the cruise at 69 to 72 depending on how we feel (I end up going to the Valley quite a bit also). Typically she will come home sitting right on 22, or just a hair below, or a hair above. One time, when actually trying for mileage, she got home sitting on 24.6. These are hard climbs at 6-7% grades, and long.

We have only run premium in it once in 26K miles.

I will say, if you get on it a lot, you are not going to be happy with the mileage. However, if you get on any vehicle with a lot of power, you are not going to be happy with the mileage. These Sports are very fun to drive, so it does not surprise me that folks are hotdoggin around. As the EPA mileage stickers say, "your mileage may vary."

We love this vehicle, and anyone we have been able to talk to, with one, loves it. The combination of fantastic looks, great power and handling with a good ride, plus very good fuel economy (when you try), plus great utility and features (many of which some luxury vehicles don't have), makes for a very compelling product. We are starting to see Sports all over the place.