View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 09:17 PM
makuloco2000
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by lkammer
So install a sandwich adapter plate, and get a separate gauge? With a 'real gauge' I'm not sure what numbers to look for, or what to do next? Am I trying to diagnose a bad oil pump? I've been watching the stock gauge. When I start the truck ,the gauge goes from 0 to about 55% .But after that the gauge doesn't move when I let off gas or punch it... just stays at that 55% setting . I know I should see a drop at deceleration and move up w/ acceleration. One other question should I use something like Marvel mystery oil to 'desludge'.
Thanks
Yes you need to use a real gauge, the oil sending unit on the truck is literally an on off switch and doesn't read pressure. So hence a scan tool will also not tell you. Check it when it is nice and hot when it is happening, I like to see 20psi hot idle accessories off. The pumps are usually ok it is all the areas on the truck that get loose tolerances and cause loss of pressure and vct system errors. You can use a desludge additive but if the oil pressure is the problem that wont do anything for you.