Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 PM
cstephens
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lvin4jc
Timing was just set after I rebuilt the carb, it's dead on at 10.

I will check the throttle plate and the gas cap off. You are right, i'm wondering if there is pressure in the tank that's affecting life under the hood.

The "bog" is far less predictable than I must have explained it. The only thing I can say is that it usually, but not always, happens when the engine is cold. It goes in to what I think is a mega rich condition. So it goes from ridiculously rich to stupid rich for a bit, sometimes for a couple hundred yards, sometimes for 2 miles before it comes out of the bog. Nothing I can do seems to affect it.

I guess I should have said, my plan was to buy a new carb. I started this thread because I thought maybe there was another explanation that would save me putting on a shiny new carb only to find out that it wasn't the problem.
Might try hooking the vac gauge and driving it. You should drop waaaay down when you clip the throttle, if you dont pop back up, that may tell ya something. Try just watching the vac gauge while driving, if it bogs, see what the gauge is doing. The motion of the needle tells a story in itself.

Might take the vac gauge and watch it when ya spray the carb cleaner on the dizzy. If there is a vac leak or something fishy at all, and the throttle plate stays closed while the engine revs, the needle should go up, Im thinking. Again, motion of the needle is important.

Does it fluctuate? Stay steady?