View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
Your question raises a few others...........

-Have you yourself yet done this install?

-What extraordinary forces are at play that you imagine might require through bolts?

-Why is it assumed our tapped holes are somehow "shoddy"?

-Why does Ford use thread forming screws for this installation when they add this to a chassis? (FWIW the spare tire under mount is held in place with those type screws.)

-Has anyone's tapped holes failed so far?

Fact is the frame mounted bracket could be safely held in place with just two 5/16" or 3/8" bolts, both in the vertical plane, grade #2 at that. I suppose it could be argued welding the frame bracket makes more sense?

As an aside most likely Ford uses three fasteners more for proper location and parts alignment during manufacturing rather than any safety concern.

Reading those posts where through bolts are used---such as Andrew's original post for example---show the process of placing and holding them while securing nuts is a bit of a hassle. Properly tapping the existing holes requires only the simple process of installing and tightening one bolt per hole, lock washer or Loc-Tite optional.

In the end this becomes nothing more than a personal choice, no one way is better or less safe than the other---assuming things are done properly. I believe anyone who'd tap such holes understands how to do it competently so I wouldn't be a bit scared of their installation.

Does that answer the question?
THere is a thread on this forum that details the installation of this steering stabilizer, and the OP tapped the threads and put a pry-bar on it to test them. They ripped out. So he tapped them to the next biggest size. Those held. Made me think using a thru bolt with a locking nut and/or compression washer would be a simpler, faster, stronger, easier, and less worrisome solution.

No, I didn't do this install yet. I'm posting an idea to bounce it off the good people of the forum before I do it. I have to say, I feel a little like I got my head bit off for an innocent suggestion.