View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 01:09 PM
New User

jgoedker is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've had two Pioneer Avic's. First in my 99 Super Duty, which I finally and reluctantly left go after 14 years and 355k miles. (Miss that truck) That Avic was installed in 01 at approx. 60k. It had every gadget attached that was available. And that was about everything you could ask for. The truck was used almost exclusively in cross country trips and the GPS maps were always accurate and helpful. The truck sat many nights in cold -30 Minnesota nights, and it's share of 110 degree Phoenix heat. It still operates as it did the day I installed it. I say this because I have heard many of these units are susceptible to heat and cold. I can say Pioneer's apparently are not.

The second is a X940BT in my F150. To be honest, I'm not as excided with this unit as the first. Fully touch screen. I have large fingers so it does get a bit clumsy at times. There is no need to install the GPS antenna outside of the vehicle or dash. Just tuck it under inside just making sure no metal is between it and the stars. Mine has always worked fine located completely out of sight. And, no drilling. The mike ended up on top of the steering column. It seems to work best there and is definitely the easiest place to install it.

I'm sure the other brands would be just as good, but I can attest to the Pioneer for durability and functions. I think they all look very similar installed. I did no install the back up camera this time as I seldom used it anyway. Never trusted it I guess and it and for me it did little for hooking trailers. I do enjoy the new units Bluetooth streaming capability which I stream XM from my phone. Saves me a subscription. Although it is a bit tricky to connect sometimes. The steering wheel function should be thought out. I spent the money for the module but I seldom use it anyway. It's just as easy to reach over and turn the ****. I think that was a waste of $60 bucks.

I bought the unit locally from a private party, had Best Buy install it as it's way to hot in Florida to do this outdoors. I have approx. $500 invested. So shop around and save some money.