View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Elder User

mike460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worththewait View Post
Guys,

I was told by the dealer that it was a $500.00 job to replace the plugs. I told them they were nuts and was going to do it myself. The Service Manager told me not to try it myself because the plugs get stuck in the block and because they break off and fall into the cylinder. When I got home I looked at my trusty Haynes manual and this is what it states "Ford has issued TSB 08-7-6 stateing that attempting to remove the spark plugs is likely to result in extended electrode breaking off in the cylinder head" It goes on further to explain this is for engine builds before 10/07.

I have been changing spark plugs on my own vehicles for ever, this is the first time I am a little nervous. I have a 2010 with a 5.4 should I be concerned or what? Any thoughts?
Do it yourself. The 2010 has the revised plug and it is easy easy easy. Literally got done less than half an hour ago with my 2010 Expedition with 90k miles. Took 55 minutes from opening the toolbox to everything put up and hands clean. The passenger side is a smidge easier than the drivers side to me at least.....it was pretty tough gettin the torque wrench in on the drivers side. I bought Motorcraft plugs on Rockauto for like $65. No way I'd pay anybody more than $100 for labor on a 09 up 5.4. $500 even with parts is ludicrous.