View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 PM
New User

4x4 camper van is starting off with a positive reputation.
After a few quick patches to the worst of the rusted sections I just registered it and drove it around as my camping/ activity rig for the rest of summer. I instantly appreciated using a van for all the things I like to do in the outdoors. It had tons of room for bikes, camping equipment, and really whatever I wanted. Plus unlike a full size RV it fits in normal parking spots around town and any campground I want to go to. Not to mention the cheaper registration than an RV. Then the idea of a full blown 4x4 camper van with a mini kitchen, pop-top bed, and other conveniences took over and became my ultimate goal. Also as awesome as a van it is, the gas mileage was painful. Iíve also always wanted something diesel, and so the decision to go diesel was obvious. Fall came around and it was winter project time.

My first priority was doing a 4x4 swap. So after researching it seemed a SAS with a dana 60 was by far the most popular way to go. So after scouring craigslist once again, I found a pair of dana 60s for 400 which seemed like an absolute steal, even though I didnít need the rear at all. The thing was an old, closed knuckle, drum brake front end so it wasnít perfect (king pin, disc brake would have been ideal), but I figured a minor rebuild with a disc conversion would do great. Besides, my realistic budget would never allow for the best of the best. So I snagged them.

Click the image to open in full size.