Old 06-18-2014, 05:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
Good grief, if I felt the need to take all that with me when I left the house I'd get rid of the truck. That's no way to travel guys.
There are those that don't stray far from home, or they stay on the interstate/main highways when they do travel. AAA and a charged cell can take care of the bulk of issues that would arise - leaving the driver at the mercy of the local 7.3L support system. If you've ever visited multiple mechanics with a 7.3L... you'd know that is a scary prospect. There are certified mechanics that were still braking their voice when the 7.3L was produced.

Getting all "Rambo'd up" with expedition gear is a personal choice... maybe even control-freakish - but I say that as the biggest control freak here. Pikers! You're all tip-toein' around.

First... after all that heralding of the Racor RF-15CC Dual Element High Flow AquaBlock filter funnel, I don't think you need the turkey baster. When I funnel-fill, I put the fuel additive in the funnel, then rinse thoroughly with gallons of diesel. Most of the additives I've dealt with have the measure indicator on the side of the jug, or I use an old Sta-Bil bottle for my fuel additive (clearly marked). Oh... and Riffraff Diesel has the HPOP tool.

I have enough tools on board to do a brake job, replace any sensor on the truck, or swap an injector... including the on-board 9th injector and a portable canopy for protection from the elements while I work. Like I said, biggest control freak here. That covers what's under the seat and what's in the "7.3L" box in the bed (this is where a locking bed cover is handy).

Now... the 1911 clearly does nothing to aid in getting the truck going, so we're delving into Zombie Apocalypse territory. Before we get into that, a very-well stocked first aid kit is way the hell up there on my must-have for each and every vehicle I own (including the motorcycle). "Well-stocked" doesn't mean enough bandages to cover 100 fingers - it means antacid, anti-diarrhea tablets, Anbesol (for a tooth ache), feminine napkins (very absorbent), Benadryl (for allergic reactions to things like bee stings), glucose pills, extra medicine for a condition that a person may have... you get the idea.

I don't care if you go across the street or across a continent, a survival knife is the foundation of any "kit". The first Rambo movie made survival knives look all nasty and full of goodies - they're not. A "survival knife" is a very sturdy, simple, and easy-to-sharpen knife that you can count on for survival. I carry silicone mending strap - it fixed a radiator hose leak 50 miles from home... which involved cutting the excess tape with a knife. If you get a knife, learn how to use it - because it's more harm than good without that knowledge.

I have a portable floating EPIRB. It is registered with the rescue authorities, and it works anywhere in the world. This is not something you use for a flat tire - you can get fined for that. This is an OMG tool - like something's on fire or somebody's hurt (or is in peril), and there's no cell service. There is maintenance and there are rules associated with this tool, but... short of Zombie Apocalypse, there's a warm and fuzzy feeling for anyone near this thing.

Road flares and traffic accidents - not always the best combination (spilled fuel)... and they have a very short life span. I have triangles, and a FRED (Flashing Roadside Emergency Disc). It charges from the cigarette lighter, you just have to remember to keep it charged:

I don't carry mixed antifreeze - distilled water is readily available anywhere - but our antifreeze isn't. Carrying one gallon of unmixed is carrying two gallons of what we would use.

I have a full-on survival kit in every vehicle - to keep the first-aid kit company. Anybody who backpacks knows you can get it done without taking up a lot of space or adding a lot of weight. Case in point - I even have a survival kit in the motorcycle. While it may not have a tent, it has a tarp, paracord (I love that stuff), and a knife... so I have the makings of a tent.

Armaments - I appreciated the absolute simplicity of the Glock. I can field-clean that one easier than the 1911. That's not to say I don't like the 1911, but I carry a Glock - flavor #.40. When I run out of the loud parts, see the first photo.