View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,715 Likes on 641 Posts
Another starting system issue

Here's what I have, F150 5.0L manual transmission, no start, just clicks at both solenoids. I've cleaned every connection, all are clean and cables, where visible ,and ends appear good. The clutch switch looks good seems to work but there are a lot of wires on this thing so who knows.
Before this got to the point it is, it would take extra attempts with turning the key to get it started. It would just click and sometimes a prolonged application would get the starter going. After cleaning everything it now only clicks. I've bench tested the starter and solenoid with a battery charger, the solenoid engages very solidly and the starter will turn. I've tried a remote starter switch on either solenoid, nothing, just solid loud clicks.
Reinstall it and all it does is click. I can jump the terminals on the starter and it will start the truck. What and how should I check here? My battery is good with a full charge. I don't want to throw money at things and not get results. I've read other similar threads and they all seem to dead end with the OP never replying what fixed it. There are so many wires in this system wrapped in plastic conduit and for all I know one unseen wire could be bad.
Why are there two solenoids? For years Ford did well with a single fender mounted solenoid which was super easy to figure out.
Please help.