Thread: '51 F4 project
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Did I mention Betsy bounces pretty badly?

Of course I mentioned it several times, but as I was driving Betsy downtown this afternoon, after hitting one of the 48 million bumps in our city streets I heard a loud noise. Actually, I thought the floor jack must have broken loose and hit the uncovered steel floor in the cab. Yes, it was that loud. But it wasn't the jack.

As I was returning home, another normal road divot resulted in another scary noise. I thought I must have broken something in the suspension. Keep in mind, I rarely drive over 35 mph, and today was only going about 30.

I pulled over and checked all the suspension... nothing noticeably out of place.

Then I saw it. The allthread I used instead of u-bolts the hold the bed onto the frame must have been stretching over time (spelled bounces) because there were gaps on both sides. I used Nylocks on every bolt, so I know they weren't loosening. I didn't have any tools with me ( ) so I drove home at under 20 mph with the flashers on the entire way.

I re-tightened all the bolts in the bed. Yes, they were all loose. I'm lucky the bed didn't come off (not really possible). I have four large straps on the corners holding the bed on in addition to the home made u-bolts. So the rear, which was loose, allowed the back of the bed to bounce when I hit a bump.

I will have to revisit my flatbed mount scheme.