View Single Post
Old 03-13-2004, 07:52 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: FYI: Bio-Diesel and Grease

Originally posted by LOOnatic
Hello all,

I just started running 2 grades of bio-diesel and have been pretty happy with the result.
In short, bio-diesel is a blend of vegetable oil and #1 grade (kerosene). I can buy this blend of B20 (20% veggie, and 80% #1) as a few pumps in californis as i can regular #2 diesel.

B100 is 100% refined veggie oil and cost about $1 more per gallon than B20 and #2.

Bio-diesel has a higher lubricating property than diesel so its good for long life. It also has MUCH lower sulphuric emmissions at the tailpipe.

However,its also possible to fit a kit from www.greasel.com which involves fitting an auxillary fuel tank or using a 2nd tank if your truck has one.
You then use a heating plate which gathers heat from your cooling sytem .
You then collect waste fry oil graese (WVO-waste veggie oil) from your local restaurant for free as they have to pay a service to dispose of it. This is found in vats behind the res. near the dumpster. It is neccesary to filter the grease with a mesh screen bag before use. The kit also has a cleanable Racor inline filter which needs periodic servicing.
A buddy of mine with a Cummins has this kit and with a 90 gallon WVO tank he recently got a little over 1000 miles on a roadtrip in addition to around 450 miles with his main (#2 diesel) tank.

I'm about to have the greasel.com guys build me a 90 gallon holding tank with a small tool box .

Anyway, i'm new here and i wanted to share the word of bio-diesel and grease conversions to you guys as i drive a 6.0 PSD.
Here in cali diesel can sometimes exceed $2 per gallon so even if you live in a place where diesel is cheaper, please log onto
www.biodisel.org and also www.greasel.com for an interesting read about an almost free alternative fuel source.

One last thing, it will change the odor of exhaust from the eye burning diesel to a slight french fry smell.
MMhhhhh, not bad!
Talk to your dealer about your warranty, ask specifically….fuel