Thread: Mpg?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
I want to throw one out there against the just buy a Eco box claim. You need to figure out how much you drive, figure out how much that cost then compare. Figure out what mileage a Eco box would get, how much the added insurance would be and then add the amour your going to pay for the new Eco box. Doesn't seem so beneficial now does it? I'll run you through an example here.

Say your truck gets 8 mpg and you drive 150 miles a week. That's 7800 miles a year. Divide by 8 mpg and your left with 975 gallons of fuel a year. Multiply by $3.75 as an estimate for gas price and your at $3,656.25 a year in gas. That's quiet a lot. Now say you buy an Eco car that gets 30 mpg. That's 260 gallons a year or $975 for gas. Big savings right? Now add the price of the car. Let's say $3500 for a reliable daily. Your now at $4475. Then you factor in insurance for a second vehicle. Let's say $100 a month for a young driver like you. That's another $1200. So now we are at $5675 the first year. But that's not it. That second car is likely gonna need maintenance. That's more money. Lest say $500 a year. That brings the total to $6175 the first year. This is just for the new car. This doesn't include the truck your still paying for. See what I mean?

The notion of an Eco box is good, but not if you drive very few miles like I do. I was in the exact same position as you last year and even went as far as going to my insurance guy and talking with him to see if it would save me money. He strait up told me that unless I sold my truck for a fuel efficient car, it wouldn't save me anything for a few years.