Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Matt Howell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[DONE] Custom Guage Install, 5.4 3v, 4R75E (Oil Pressure Guage and Transmission Temp)

Hey guys, as many of you know the aftermarket pods are a real nice feature to keep tabs on things that aren't included on the dash.
I have a superchips tune so didn't feel like spending 300 on another tuner, Plus guages just look more awesome to me.
So i began today working on the Install/wiring and getting it all ready. So far all i have got semi completed is the Temperature guage,
the Oil pressure guage will come soon as i get the filter sandwich in! My truck is getting on up there in the mileage, and figured
i'd better keep an eye on things.

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME DOING GUAGES

First things First, Check your Sticker For Transmission Type!

Needed things
-A Fuse Tap with Lead (Got mine at Oreilly's)
-Some Wire (I think it called for 18 guage i may have ran 16)
-Guages
-Patience
-Size 11 Socket
-GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter - 22mm 1.5 Thread
AMAZON AMAZON

-Auto Meter 2 Pod
AMAZON LINK AMAZON LINK
Sure theres more!

My Guages:
Sunrpo CP7001 Oil Pressure Guage
AMAZON AMAZON

Sunpro CP7005 Temperature Guage
AMAZON AMAZON

RUNNING POWER FROM THE FUSE BOX TO GUAGES FUSE 22:
Use the Fuse tap and Run the Wires (You may have to cut the Fuse Box Cover to close)

Ran mine behind the glove box in the factory wiring, (IGNORE THE WHITE WIRE)

Then ran through the radio area

A Useful Easy Ground! Under the steering wheel, Pull the cover back, Good ground bolt right there! Size 8 i believe it was.

This method makes it when you turn on the ignition, the guages will turn on when the radio does, as well as turn off when you open the door.

Use the Fuse tap, and Jump on Fuse 22 (Radio, Delay Auxiliary Slot)
CHECK YOUR MANUAL!
I used a 10amp fuse for the guage.

TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE GAUGE INSTALL
As i was researching i noticed no one had really done the transmission temperature guage on the 4R75E,
and if they did there was no pictures anywhere of what they were talking about. So hopefully this helps!!

So after a nice hot day, i got the idea to jump under the truck and really get to know my transmission, while laying on my back :roflol: (no pun intended)
for nearly 15 minutes starting at the bottom of a METRIC pan. As the blood was leveling out in my body I got to looking for the
Inspection Ports that i had seen mentioned in a thread about a van. So this got me wondering.

I looked hard, couldn't see crap on the passenger side, (so don't waste your time) but on the driver side, up high i noticed a bolt that said "LINE" off a bit beside it.
This is where you would want to put your sensor in if you were trying to send a signal back to the guage like i was.

PIC OF THE MAIN LINE BOLT HERE:

CLOSER VIEW:

So I hopped on my phone talked to a buddy who is a real good transmission mechanic real quick and he verified that this was indeed the main line access bolt.
So i got my ratchet, (Size 11) And really got down on it, man that thing was in there so be ready for it! Deep Creep FTW!

Once you get it out, a tiny bit of fluid will hit the ground, grab your sensor and ratchet it in the hole. Mine was a Sunpro Electronic guage from Autozone and
came with the sensor that fit, I was shocked! Then you can run your wire, I went behind the block and kinda around the header, not much room to work with so use some good wire.

PIC OF SENSOR WIRED UP:

You should'nt be on the ground for a while (until we do the oil filter sandwich) so you are good to go from there on!

GUAGE IS TESTED AND WORKING! (10 min drive)

MY DRIVING AROUND TOWN TEMP 87*F OUTSIDE

EDITED THIS POST TO BE THE FOLLOW UP

WIRE PATH I USE FOR SUB POWER, ETC:
UNDER STEERING COLUMN:

UNDER HOOD:

How did i wire them?
I just piggy backed the guage post + Positive/+ Light Positive to + Positive/+ Light Positive on both guages so they would have power and the lights would work as well. Then tie into a main +
Then just - negative to - negative, doing it the same way, then hitting ground.
Green and White are my Sensor Wire's

POD INSTALL: (TRIED TO KEEP IT SIMPLE AND DONE QUICKLY)

OIL PRESSURE INSTALL

What you Will Need
-The Oil Filter Adapter
-Probably a new filter, (Mine bent coming off) Motorcraft FL-820S
-A quart of oil from the store.
-Some threadlock for the adapter

First things first, Pull the filter (Don't be scared, you will only lose about a quart)

Threadlock your adapter inserts, and the sensor (Threadlock the main nut when installing onto truck)

Now put the adapter with the sending unit in place, Be sure to wire it up or it might get complicated in that spot.

New Filter installed on the adapter

Guages working just fine