Thread: 5.4 Spark Plugs
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Floresville1969
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaneSyco
Hello all, I just joined this forum, I have read a LOT of posts on changing the plugs on a 06 5.4. I was terrified of trying it myself from all the horror stories i read about them breaking off. I went to my mechanic he said he would not touch it but referred me to a garage down the road from him. I took my truck in and they gave me a quote of 280.00 + 70 for each one that broke off + the cost of the new plugs. Not knowing this mechanic and not being able to be there when they would change them i opted to do them myself due to the cost if everyone of them broke. 950.00!!!! I spent the money on the spark plug remover tool at o'reilly's for 100.00. yes i know i could get the plugs and tool way cheaper on ebay or amazon but my truck started bucking really really hard and did not want to wait. 100k on the OEM plugs. I bought seafoam deep creep to soak on them before i pulled them. Me and my Brother Inlaw we set to change them. I showed up at his house at 430 and we were done by 730. I only had 2 break off ( 2 of the hardest ones to get to)& with the tool they came out with ease. long story short it is not as bad as the stories you read on the net. we did have to disconnect a few wires and the left side of the pcm in order to get to them. All in all it was really not that bad. FYI Ford now recommends to change them every 60k.
So if you need to change your plugs your self jump on in just be sure you have the right tools it is not that bad at all.
I ALSO AGREE...Just did my plugs on my 5.4 2007 Lariat....I had a wonderful time! I too had ONLY 2 break off. I noticed when I was unscrewing the plug...the 2 that broke were the ones that I would screw and un-screw like we were taught to do with stubborn studs or plugs by Dad.....lol.......I would thread and un-thread to loosen them. Well, these 2 broke. Bought me the extractor kit...Awesome tool for $100...just follow directions.... The other 6 that I did, once I broke the seat and heard some screeching going on with that aluminum head down there....I just kept unscrewing or unthreading. The plug came All the way out....Nothing broke.....Imagine that! I had also use some penetrating oil for about 2 hours....drank a cold Michelob Ultra....put some tunes on in the garage....I went to work. Took my time and had a great time! 5 Hrs tops.....