Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Champ198
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck sits in the Tennessee sun every day. I researched the details on the F1 and no where on the BAK website do I see where the FRP composite cover is designed to withstand UV. In fact, they encourage you to use a UV protectant.

Most of us assume that an automotive accessory like a bed cover, fiberglass running board, fiberglass camper shells, etc. is going to be made to survive the same conditions that our trucks live in day after day.

Based on what I'm reading from BAK, I find it odd that an automotive accessory designed to be used on our trucks cannot withstand off-the-shelf "safe for all finishes" cleaning agents and the covers may not withstand typical environmental conditions like prolonged UV exposure, acid rain, road salt/ice dissolving chemicals, drive-through automatic car washes, and other things like wax that our vehicles finishes easily survive.

If I replace this cover, it will be an all aluminum panel cover. I saw a guy at the local body shop that has had a Bakflip for many years. It is all aluminum. His cover looks as good as new.

From BAK's website:
"Maintenance: Wash normally with soap and water / 3M formula 303 UV protection. Never use any type of Wax or products that contains wax on your cover. "

Soap? Define what that means? Is this Dove, Zest, Dawn, Tide, what?? Wax? What chemicals or formulations cause the damage ? Carnuba? Synthetic? There are no specifics. What exactly is safe? We need brands!! Has BAK tested specific waxes or chemicals? If so, I'd like to see the results.

I believe BAK is looking for an "out" to dismiss fading claims as I believe their product cannot withstand continuous UV exposure which deteriorates and breaks down the chemical compounds that make up the textured finish. Hopefully, in the last 20 months the product has changed.

If you'll notice in my photos, you will see a rusted bungee cord attachment ring. Where I've flipped up the ring, you can see the original glossy black finish that the entire cover used to have. Had I used harsh chemicals on the cover as BAK alluded, there would not have been a glossy area under the ring. This is clear evidence that the covers cannot withstand long term exposure to UV and environmental conditions.