View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 PM
67 Olfthfl
Nevada Chapter LDR
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nevada Feb. BS/Valentines Thread

Good afternoon Everyone,

Oops.... Sorry Guys. I forgot today was the Feb 1st. My bad!!!

Happy Saturday

I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off the past few days & haven't had time to sit down, muchless think.

Yesterday, I worked at a friends house doing yard work for them, but as I'm getting ready to leave, my neighbor across the street called me over for a medical emergency. So I drop everything & go!

Come to find out, one of our local Wild Mustang herds was in his yard eating weeds & drinking water from their goats water bucket when they saw the stallion charge at a mare with new foal(1 day old). The baby was nursing when the stallion came over & kicked the foal in the stomach/ribs! The baby collapsed & couldn't get back up, although she was trying. Then while I was talking to my neighbor, watching the herd surround the foal, the lead mare grabbed/bit the neck area & threw the baby like a rag doll! She definately couldnt get up after that & she was really hurting then. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!
I immediately called some friends at the Horse Rescue/Adoption center & they had someone there within 15 minutes.
While my neighbors & others that came to help tried to keep the herd away from the mom & baby, I did what I could to care for it until help arrived. The foal was going downhill quick! She was in shock & had labored breathing. I called the rescue center again & told them to hurry cause the herd was trying to kill the foal & the foal was going down hill. 2 minutes later help arrived (Thank God!!!) The guy grabbed his medical supply box, gave 4 of us a roll of orange plastic fencing/netting to stretch out like a fence & hold as a barrier for protection. He looked the foal & didn't think she was going to make it, then he listened for a heartbeat & she still had one! At this point she was only breathing like once or twice per minute. He radioed to his partner to bring the horse trailer & get there NOW. I grabbed my oxygen bottle from my med bag & non-re-breather mask & held it to the foals mouth praying it would help. By now the rest of the herd had left (even the foals mom). The guy noticed she wasn't breathing anymore & started chest compressions while I turned up the O2 level. Within 2-3 minutes her pupils were fixed & dilated & glazed over, so the guy called it. He cancelled the horse trailer & called for someone to come p/U the deceased foal, while I covered it with a blanket. We said a lil' prayer & left. Poor little baby! I still don't know why the stallion would've done something like that?! Oh well, call of the wild I guess.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Attached Images