View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a standing plan to convert a fairly long room on the east end of my house to a greenhouse by adding tall narrow windows to it that will fit between the studs - so as to minimise construction costs. Adding a line of two by four blocking above and below the windows will actually add to the structural integrity of the place I believe, and reduces the risk of fire since it would constitute a double firebreak built into the walls. (I wonder if that would lower my insurance any?). The existing siding could be mostly salvaged and used for repairs elsewhere if needed.

The room is next to the driveway, and the long side (N-S) is about 15 or 20 feet, the south facing end is about ten or twelve and has an octagon window in it that is a just plain bad design and needs replacing anyway. Since I'm thinking about it I measured it off and the useful space inside is about 16 X 12. A low set of cabinets or benches inside would complete the interior and then I could grow things year round.

Currently it has two of my citrus trees and some other miscellanious plants in it with a space heater (electric) to maintain the temperature at around 60 degrees. I've always wished it had better light, and I've been slowly sneaking up on this plan for a while as I have thought about it over the years.