Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Tonneau cover blew off, want something sturdy - ideas?

I've been leaving my cap in the garage and using my tonneu recently. I had it blown off going down the road today - about 40mph cross wind. I didn't loose anything out of the back, as amazing as that is.

The tonneau is an Extang Full Tilt. It is real versatile, which is why I have it. I have not had it seal real well against the bed rails and tailgate in the past, but have dealt with it. The flying off is a whole other story... Once I got the cover back on I stopped at a gas station and secured it with ropes inside pulling the latches down so if it let loose there was no way for it to fly up.

So - what is out there that is strong and seals well??

I had a Leer 700 on my old silverado that I liked. The hard part was removing it - with 2 people it could be done, but was still a bit of a pain then. Now I have a lift for the big cap so pulling it off is a non-issue.

What about locking mechanisms? I remember the 700 I had to take a torch to in the winter to get the lock un-froze. Are there any better mechanisms out there?

How are the lighter weight plastic/polymer caps? Has anyone had good luck with them?

I want something that totally covers the bed rails - nothing like the folding covers or retractable ones, I want a "lid" that is sturdy and secure.