Thread: Exhaust Brakes
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt, the point is that the F250 7.3 already has an exhaust flap installed - so you don't need to install any hardware other than wiring.

The exhaust flap in the F250 is called the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) and is designed in stock form to close to allow the engine to generate enough warm to not freeze up. There is also a little kettle element like thing where the turbo blows into intake manifold which is designed to heat the charge air up. This is called the Air Intake Heater (AIH). Check out the Common Mods thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...mmon-mods.html

I was chasing an exhaust brake when I first got my F250 - for towing horses too. I don't tow a gooseneck though.

Anyway, as the Youtube above shows, 2 bits of wire and a switch is all you need to have your F250 rigged up with an exhaust brake!

2 mods that you should do if you are towing heavy are:
1) Transmission oil temperature gauge - and watch it like a hawk (the auto trans is a weak point in our trucks) - this is a super easy gauge to fit;
2) Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge - the Ford Australia turbo dump pipe strangles the 3.5 inch turbo outlet to 2.5 inches and holds heat in - this can cook the turbo - this is slightly harder to fit as you need to drill and tap a 1/4 in NPT thread in the exhaust manifold to fit the gauge heat probe.

If you find your trans temp heading north the next vital upgrade is an increased capacity transmission cooler,