View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM
FTE fan

underthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud of
The Toyota swap is a great way to go if you want power steering, but I thought I heard you say something about you wanted to stay stock. It is possible to replace or rebuild the wear points in a steering system. The tie rod ends, the drag link ***** and springs, the pitman arm ball, the steering spindle ball, the spring pins and bushings, and then the steering box itself can be rebuilt if necessary. All parts are readily available, and the instructions are in the repair manual. You will never get the stock set up to act like a rack and pinion. But you can get most of the play out of it. It all depends on what you need or want. If you live where parallel parking is a frequent event, you may want the power steering. You have gotten a lot of good information from all the posts on everything from tires to power steering to reviving the stock set up. personally I would start with the tie rod ends,drag link, spring pins and bushings, as they will stay even with a power steering upgrade as far as I know. Somebody please correct me if I'm incorrect. I almost forgot king pins. It may not be necessary to replace all these items, but they should at least be checked for wear.