View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckRob View Post
I have been working on my bed wood and sideboards. I am using Epifaines High Gloss Spar varnish. I have got seven coats on the bed wood, The boards are laying flat, sanded with 400 wet paper between coats, temperature controlled garage. Have been using Jen foam brushes new one with every coat, varnish not shaken, applied from seperate container. last thee coats have not been thinned. Now here is the problem I seem to be getting little bumps in the finish, almost like large specs of dust. Should I thin the last coat so it sets up faster? Can varnish be cut and buffed like auto paint with say 2000 paper and a polishing compound? The finish looks pretty good now but the wife looked at it and said whats with the little bumps.
I put 8 coats on all of my stake bed wood similar you what you did, except, I did not thin the varnish at all. I also, after a lot of research used natural hair brushes rather than foam as I was told that the foam could leave 'fur' because the varnish is so heavy. Did you use a good quality Tack cloth before applying each coat?
2009 Pontiac G3 the "roller-skate"

www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com