Old 12-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Swizzferd8
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to DIY convert 96 powerstroke to WVO... Looking for help

I have a 1996 powerstroke, 7.3L with 215k. I bought the truck as a fixer upper. Knew nothing about these trucks until I bought it and joined this form. I've learned a lot by asking questions and doing a lot of reading. I've had the truck off the road for a while now. I will be driving it again in a couple weeks and I've been wanting to convert it since I bought it. That being said...

I have done a ton if research on WVO. From the collection process(where/how to get it, what to look out for), building a filtration/dewatering system(knowing when you've got good clean oil), and the only iffy part is the system in the truck......
..... In the truck I pretty much understand the two tank setup which is what I was going to aim for. My truck already has two tanks. (Any suggestions on what I should do with those two tanks? Because I've been thinking I want to find a plastic tank or have aluminum one made to fit in my bed. Would like to hear what people did who had the two diesel tanks like me. What kind of heating element works best? I thought of using hot water heater probes in the side of the tank... Then realized that's a lot of oil to heat at once and saw some people heated the oil in the lines somewhere in between it leaving the tank to fuel bowl. Fuel bowl....
I understand this is where fuel is pumped to where it then is dumped into the engine? What needs to be done exactly to convert the truck? I need to bring in wvo lines and diesel. And the heating using the engine coolant? Really do not understand how that works but maybe I don't fully understand how the engine coolant works to begin with?

If anyone happens to be in the process if doing this or has done it and has pictures showing the install, I would love to see them! I'm the kind if person that if you can show and I can see what your talking about then I will get it. Picture of parts, what's I should stay away from, what type of hose should I use? I remember seeing something about hose fittings and connectors? Not to use a certain metal?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I love working on my truck and think this would be a cool project to do. I'm very hands on and determind to learn so please don't tell me I'm better off going out and buying a kit. I've seen people build their own for a fraction of the kit price and it really doesn't seem that hard to me... It would all make more sense and knowing what I am trying to accomplish would make for an easier install. I've tried to give detailed info on what I don't fully understand so any and all input would be great!