Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 PM
dbenson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by creator
The fact that the leak follows the injector is weird.
Nipple cup seals are easy enough to replace that it is worth changing them. If they are bad enough it is possible that more than one is leaking but it just happens to show up at that injector/nipple.

RobbinThaHood Came up with a better tool design for those that are looking at buying a tool:
Tool for oil rail oring leak repair thanks to creator. - Page 9 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Of course... I just bought another tool on eBay about 10 minutes earlier

Did a bit more work on this truck today... I tried cleaning up the nipple cup itself on the cylinder where the problem initially occurs, I used 280 grit sandpaper which isn't exactly "polishing", but I did remove some of the marks from the O-rings... these marks were not deep enough to catch a fingernail or even feel with a fingertip... but on reassembly it did seem to seal up with the shop air test. I had just put a new top injector o-ring in that same injector last night.

I will add however, that on my first test I didn't put all the bolts back in the oil rail... just a couple in the middle... I thought for a shop air test that would be sufficient, but maybe these things are very fussy with being completely bolted down and torqued, even for a quick shop air test.

Just passing on some results for everybody else to consider when troubleshooting... this is a particularly frustrating one to troubleshoot... hope this helps someone.

I should have my tool and O-rings next weekend... I will try cleaning up all the nipple cups when I install the new O-rings.. along with new top seals in the injectors, hopefully this thing will seal up completely.

I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that everybody probably has some HP oil leaks, but they aren't even noticeable until they get bad enough to cause a no hot start condition. I work on a lot of 6.0's every week, and I have noticed some big differences in how quickly they all start, both hot and cold... probably due to these "un-noticed" HP oil leaks. I had a 6.0 excursion here last week that started instantly as soon as you touched the key... it was very noticeable how fast it started on a hot start... maybe perfecting the nipple cup seals is the way to make them all start this way!? I will provide my feedback here as it comes in.

Duane