View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM
deputydog03
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by izar90
I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 1998 F150 XLT 4X4 EXTENDED CAB WITH 147,000 MILES FOR $3400. I BOUGHT THE TRUCK WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I WOULD HAVE TO BUY AN ENTIRE NEW EXHAUST. THE TRUCK RAN PERFECT FOR TWO MONTHS THEN THE 3RD MONTH ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. FIRST THE TRANSFER CASE WENT 750$ FOR A NEW ONE. THEN THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD NEEDED SEALED, SO I PUT A CUSTOM STRAIGHT PIPE ON WITH MUFFLER $350. THEN A WEEK LATER THE VENTS STARTED SMOKING AND I NEED TO REPLACE THE HEATER CORE AND AC CORE/EVAPORATOR(WHICHEVER IS UNDER THE DASH) $675. AND I STILL WANT TO REDO THE BRAKES ALL THE WAY AROUND. ALL I USE IT FOR IS WORK AND WEEKEND FISHING WARRIOR WITH MY BOAT. MY QUESTION IS, IS THIS TRUCK A LEMON AND ARE MORE COMMON PROBLEMS TO FOLLOW? I HAVE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS MODEL BUT WAS I MISLEAD? WHEN IT RUNS I LOVE IT I WOULD LOVE TO KEEP IT BUT CAN'T AFFORD $700 REPAIRS EVERY MONTH!!!! PLEASE HELP
It does seem like you have had your run of problems for the miles that truck has. I have not worked as a mechanic for 20 years, so I am a bit rusty but here are my thoughts.
Why did the transfer case go bad? It makes me think maybe it was beat up earlier in life before you had it. It kind of depends on what went bad in the transfer case.
The exhaust manifold needed sealed? I assume the typical problem with the studs breaking on the exhaust manifold, or maybe a cracked manifold usually due to the studs breaking off. Yes this is a common problem on these trucks, probably on the passenger side?
Heater core problems are common on all vehicles eventually. I do have to ask though, why would you have to replace BOTH the heater core and the AC evaporator? Like I said, it has been 20 years since I worked in a shop and a lot has changed since then. But if they are still made the same, it would be either a heater core OR the AC. Not both. 20 years ago I could fix heater cores for usually around $45 or less for the part and 2 to 3 hours labor.
Brakes are also common. The miles you have it is not uncommon at all for the front brakes at least to get worn.
If the truck was properly maintained and serviced you should be about to the end of your repairs.