View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 PM
gilliaa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
I am sorry to hear about that...please let us know how it goes.
Chino Hills Ford, in Chino Hills, CA, had never seen an Ecoboost engine failure before mine. As I explained in my 9/4 post before the engine blew, I have 42k miles on the truck and I bought it on 9/30/12. I drive a lot of miles to work near downtown LA from Riverside County – 105 miles each way. Luckily I had just complained of the strange “noise” on 8/22/13, when I went in for an oil change, and they said it was normal and attached a copy of a tech bulletin explaining that the engine turbos produced a strange noise that customers were complaining about.

After I had it towed to them, It took a couple of days to take the engine apart and they found a rod had busted through the block. A guard at work, who had commented on the abnormal noise before this happened, said he thought it sounded like a loose wrist pin, which nobody at Chino Hills Ford confirmed. If they would have properly diagnosed that when I took it in on 8/22, and replaced the wrist pin, perhaps Ford would not have had to replace the engine under warranty. But, Ford was wonderful and sent a long block, which Chino Hills Ford installed. It was the first one they replaced so they had the truck for 13 days total. They said they wanted to make sure they did the job right.

They paid for my rental car, which I had for 13 days, too. I put 2100 miles on a Chrysler T&C minivan during that time. When I got the truck back last Thursday afternoon, it no longer had the abnormal noise and I can hear the normal turbo sound now. The abnormal sound must have gradually worsened to where it sounded normal to me with all my 1000 mi/wk driving. Duh! I am a 66-year-old grannie, so I don't pay a lot of attention to the noises in my vehicles.

I personally think that the people who have trouble with their vehicles should place the blame on the dealership’s service department and not Ford headquarters. The service reps are the people who go to bat for their customers and make or break the dealer’s reputation. There are certain dealers that I refuse to use, and that includes the closest one to my house, which is near Temecula. For example, when my F350 would not start one day, I had it towed to that dealer. Their diagnosis: 8 new fuel injectors at a cost of $4k!

I laughed and asked if they thought I just fell of a turnip truck. That service writer said that Ford’s engineers said it was possible. I said I had a BS in Physics and it would never happen, so I had the truck towed to Drew Ford in San Diego, who I knew had a great reputation. Their diagnosis: new fuel pump for $2k. I told Drew what Rancho said, and they laughed and said that, if I had Ranch replace the 8 injectors for $4k, I still would have needed a new fuel pump and I’d be out $6k. They were amazed at Rancho's gall in making that diagnosis, but perhaps they thought I would believe anything since I am a woman. Either that or some of these mechanics just don’t know basic physics of the machines they work on.

I love my Ecoboost and completely trust Chino Hills Ford. The truck drives like a dream and is now quiet as can be. <O</O