View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 AM
La Gasser
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Earlier this year, I went from a '06 F250 CC with the 6.0 PSD with a 3.73 limited slip rear end to a '13 F350 CC Dually with the 6.2L Gas and 4.30 limited slip rear end which has just over 9k on the clock now. To date the 6.2L has performed flawlessly. It has plenty of power to tow my 34' 14k lb gooseneck horse trailer. I just returned from a 1,550 mile trip from Louisiana to Tulsa Oklahoma pulling the above trailer - avg mpg for the entire trip was 8.9 mpg with 2/3 of the miles pulling the trailer - just pulling the trailer was 7.8 mpg; without the trailer was 13.0 mpg - all hand calculated - truck computer showed .4 mpg higher. I was pulling at the posted speed limits which was for the most part either 70 or 75 mph. Last year, this exact same trip with the F250 6.0 PSD with the same trailer yielded 12.7 avg mpg for the entire trip. So I'm very satisfied with the gas engine and don't regret not getting a diesel again - just too many issues with them and I don't pull often enough to justify the diesel. Based on how I use this truck, I calculated it was going to take me over 125k miles just to breakeven on extra cost of operating the gas vs the initial cost and operating costs of the diesel, assuming no major maintenance issues with either engine.