Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by joegeds
the reason I got the kit in the first place was due to the cross-flow issue (I really don't even have a problem with the fuel pressure regulator). I have fuel being pumped from the rear tank to the front tank so that it overflows. Shouldn't those check valves work for this problem?
If you put one on the front tanks pressure line it might stop the flow of fuel into the tank. You have a bad valve in the front FDM. I do not know if it is the HP check valve or the return shuttle valve. If it is the return shuttle valve that is the problem then no it will not help by putting a check valve on the pressure line.

Originally Posted by joegeds
That's the reason they were ever issued, wasn't it?
The reason they were issued was to stop the pressure line from feeding into the wrong tank after the pressure regulator made the check valve go bad in the non running FDM. They were to be used with new fuel pumps inside the FDM's. Ford did not want to replace both FDM's and the fuel pressure regulator so they came up with this kit to save money. They were not meant to be used with old pumps. I think there was some other kits back then you could get from Ford with just check valves that were used on other years.
I know some dealers even tried to put them on 89 and older trucks and that caused fuel problems and they had to be later removed.

From what I have seen when older trucks start having this problem the fuel pump quitting will happen very soon after that.