Old 09-16-2013, 10:38 AM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can I do to beef up the suspension of a 78 F250 supercab?

I'm wondering what I can do to beef up the suspension for towing and just to be overall stronger. I'm assuming shocks, leaf springs etc. but I'm not sure how to choose the right shocks or any of that.

Since it's a 250 supercab it has leaf springs in the front and I'm pretty sure there is an add a leaf kit already on it, there's 9 leafs in the rear and 3 in the front, I'm not sure what stock is. I'm also going to swap out the 3.53 gears with 3.73's into the dana 60 rear and I'm assuming it's a dana 44 front, I can't find any number plates because it's all covered in sludge right now. I would go with 4.10's but I'm keeping my 33" wheels for now and want to get better than 5 gallons to the mile but still pull on occasion, I don't do a whole lot of hauling besides during hay season and to move cars so I figure 3.73's are a happy medium between the 3.53's in there now and the 4.10's that would help tow.

So what else should I look for? Would it benefit to get new shocks and if so how do I figure what I need? Would it benefit to just get new leaf springs at the same time so they are new and not worn out?