View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Posting Guru

sammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputation
Issues with Red Head boxes or not? A discussion

Decided to start a new thread on the issues some of us may be having with our Red Head gear boxes. There are several threads with mention of what may or may not be related problems so I thought a new thread was in order.

I am not convinced the problems we are having are all to the RH Boxes, but I would like to vet it out a bit before I speak to them again, as I am more convinced mine is play inside the box itself.

I took a new video this morning, using some zip ties, the camera and a fairly well placed location attached to a radiator hose i was able to video the input shaft and the pitman arm on one screen. This is taken with the truck on jack stands, key on and wheels unlocked. I decided to turn the shaft by hand rather than use the wheel to eliminate any possible play coming from the steering column itself.

I can turn the input shaft almost a quarter of a turn before the pitman arm moves, now I know there are the ***** and worm gear that has to turn before the motion is transferred but this seems excessive to me. You can see the pitman bottom of the screen, watch as my hand turns the input for movement. There are a couple of shots where you see me moving the shaft back and forth quickly and the pitman does not move at all, then it catches and you can see me have to put a lot more force into from there as the steering starts to move.

Thoughts?

2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.8L V10 85k
1998 Ford 150 4x4 V8 4.6L 5sp Manual 132K
"The secret to a happy life is a bad memory"