View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Hobby welder
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
the only thing that would make a difference worthwhile is to sell the vehicle you cannot afford and buy one you can.
for simple commuting,you can't beat a little 4cyl car that gets well over 30mpg,no matter how hard you drive it.
sell the truck,buy a small car.this will be the only way you'll cut down on the big fuel bill.you might spend some time and money on the engine to help you pay 45-50 per week in fuel instead of 55 (take your final cost put into engine and figure out how many months it takes just to brake even) but if you want to drop that 55$ down to well under half that,a little car is what you need.

let me show you something;

you spend $55 per week @ 7 mpg and lets say gas is $3.61 per gallon.so this means your driving 107 miles per week.

if you sell your truck and buy a little 4 cyl car that gets 35 mpg (i have one of these myself) you'd be paying just $11 per week in fuel with all things equal to what your doing with the truck!
to drive it home further,that's $220 per month with the truck vs just $44 per month with the little car you could own instead.
$2,640 per yr in fuel with truck.
$528 per yr in fuel with car.
that's a lot more $ left in your pocket or to spend on more important things in life..........like girls.
My mother does have a small car that I learned to drive a stick shift in. One problem, I don't fit... I'm only 6'1" but my shoulders and feet make me into a giant. With tennis shoes there isn't enough room for me to work the petals without catching something. I learned a couple years back, before I hit a major growth spurt and my final one I think, I've looked at small cars and even auto's I can't drive. A small SUV yes but... Fuel...

I've looked into getting a motorcycle, and that I really like, fits, comfy, open, dangerous, and with the right bike I can get better than 30 mpg. I kinda want a 250-500cc bike, so 40-80mpg. But my parents won't sign off on the M.E. (Motorcycle Endorsement)

I need a truck anyhow, I work for a logging company part time, so certain days I need a truck (I'm compensated accordingly for that). I just can't find a halfway decent used small truck. A dodge Dakota or ford ranger would be nice. Toyotas t100 is pretty good too. The ford ranger from I think 2000-2005 has some kind of transmission problem, my uncle has one of them as apart of a company fleet, and all of them at about 150,000 miles have a problem.
Plus I'm a hobbyist metal worker.

Ironically, I've over booked myself. My only personal days are Sundays. I don't have time for girls... I have to volunteer, work 6 days a week, school (National Honor Society, American Chemical Society, Robotics club). All doing something for me