View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 PM
svt1111
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here. Problem with 2012 F350

Hello everyone. First post here.

This site has been a good resource for me in leading to my decision to recently purchase (2) F350 6.2's for my company. The first one is a CC F350 Dump with supercab, it is an XL trim. The other is a single rear wheel F350 XLT, supercab.

The problem I am having deals with the instrument panel in the XLT truck. It has auto-headlights ( which I hate) and I've noticed that when it rains and you need to turn your headlights on for safety, not only does the backlighting not illuminate the gauges, but as soon as you turn the rotary dial from "auto" to headlights on, the LED needles go out as well! Trouble with that is, you can't see the needles AT ALL without the backlighting, let alone the numbers on the gauges. The XL truck, with manual headlights, does not behave this way and works properly.

I have a friend with the same truck (2011), XLT, with the auto headlight option, and his instrument cluster backlight works in the daytime with the switch on, and the needles stay lit up no matter what. I find this problem extremely annoying, and the truck is currently at the dealer now for this. The dealer first insisted that I didn't know how to use the dimmer switch. I've had over 40 vehicles, I know how to use a dimmer switch. When I went to pick up the truck at service, I asked the service manager to show me why I was so "dumb" and to make the backlighting work. It was raining and dark out, although it was 9:00 in the morning. He too couldn't get it to work. He called me later in the day and said he tried out other new trucks on the lot, and they all did it! My first free oil change, they also only put 6 quarts of oil in it according to the service record.

My question is, does anyone else have this? I asked the dealer to put a Lariat instrument panel in it, and even said I was willing to pay wholesale for the instrument cluster. I know in the Lariat's the backlighting is on ALL the time, which is what I want. I am a gauge guy. I like to know what my motor is doing, and how fast I'm going. I don't think I'm asking for too much?

Also, the weather stripping on the supercab was poorly fit and needed to be ordered from Ford and re-applied. The build quality on these things leaves a lot to be desired. The bed is crooked, the seats are crooked, the head rests are crooked, etc....

I will say I do like the 6.2 and don't regret it so far. The 6.2 that is in the XLT has the 3.73 and the other truck has the 4.30's. The 4.30 truck pulls our Bobcat with no problem at all, and that weighs about 11k with machine and trailer. It will cruise 75 mph no problem at all, with manual gear selection going between 6/5 as hills require a downshift. I do like the trans in these trucks.

For the record I also have a tuned 6.4 PSD, and have had a few Cummins which I love. I have to say I loved my Dodge trucks more than the Fords, and I've had far more Fords. The Fords look great though, and I love the ergonomics of the interiors. Just don't want to have my first post be a complaint post!

I just need to know what you guys are seeing for the norm with your instrument panels. It really sucks when its dusk, and the headlights come on automatically, and I loose my pointers on the gauges and really can't see anything on the dash at all!!