View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 PM
machinist91
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose wheel bearing?

Hey everyone,

So around 1,000-1,500 miles ago, due to a failed upper passenger side ball joint, I put four new Moog ball joints in my 1992 F-250 4X4 7.3 and had it all lined up. About 750 miles ago, I put a new set of tires on it as well. I noticed a couple days ago that the passenger front tire is wearing a bit on the outside half (all sharp edges pointing out are chewed). This is different wear to what I was experiencing when I had the bad ball joint, however the treads no longer look cupped or feathered, the edges just all have a radius on them. The wear is, however, on outter half of the tire, just like before.

I got that wheel off the ground and found that, once again, I have play at 12 and 6, but a small amount. I had my father tug on the wheel and I couldn't see any play in between the knuckle and I-beam on either joint, unlike before I replaced them. However, it seemed to me that I could see a small amount of movement at the rim. My father layed down and put his finger at the ball joints, one by one, so he could feel the knuckle and I-beam (if this even makes any sense) while I moved the wheel, and he couldn't feel any play there.

Can a loose or bad wheel bearing cause this condition? I didn't replace them when I had them out (I know, I know), just repacked them. I tightened them down to 50 ft.lb and backed off 90 degrees like the book said, but maybe I didn't have them seated just right or maybe they've settled and need another adjustment? I was planning on replacing his ball joints this weekend, but he doesn't want to use the Moogs we have for it, if mine lasted less than an oil change.

Thanks for any help and advice,
Dan