View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Dirtbag
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1958 Ford F600 Firetruck vs. flatbed

I’m at a cross roads...I have an all original 1958 Ford F600 Fire truck, with only 10,600 original miles. Runs and drives great yet, after all these years. I was thinking of removing the rear, American fire apparatus, from the truck and shorting the wheel base and building a nice 8’ flat bed for it. Basically turning it into a standard flat bed truck. Nothing like going to the feed store on a nice summer day getting supplies/feed in and old American classic farm truck. But my problem is what to do with the left overs....The truck is fully operable as a fire truck. Everything works...lights, (motor driven and electrical) sirens, front mounted water pumper, PA, and radio. It also is equipped with all the tools, wrenches, jack, ladder, spray nozzles, hundreds of feet of different length hoses and non collapsible suction hoses and the truck mounted booster hose reel. So everything that is required to operate as a fire truck is there. It was just used a couple weeks ago to pump 25,000 gallons of water, and it happily did it with out fuss. It truly is a 55 year old survivor, that has been garage kept since day one new, but it just sits around in the barn not being used. She would pound the pavement, way more often as a work truck/farm truck with the conversion. If I do go the flat bed wrought, what do I do with the rear half, as it’s too nice, just to cut up and bring it to the scrapper. Any ideas???

sorry, let me figure out this picture thing, and I'll post some up....