Thread: PHP Hydra Chip?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm all about customer service, so DP wins in this aspect of the debate... and not by a small margin.

That being said, I've learned a few things about tuners, tuning, and our trucks... and many of you know there are very few unturned rocks in my path to Powerstroke paradise:
  • If you're tuning a stock truck that's 100%, it's likely you won't need any changes... so the topic of follow-up is moot. It's still nice to have the digital display of either unit, and the reassurance you can change things easily (if you want).
  • If you're tuning a modified truck that's 100%, it's likely you'll need a few tweaks to the tunes to get your one-of-a-kind system to adapt to your goals. These tweaks should be done in the first weeks/months after your purchase (you need seat time before making changes), but it shouldn't take too many rounds if your feedback is detailed enough. The Hydra or F6 make this very convenient. Only digital disaster would demand contact after the dialing is done.
  • If you're tuning a stock/modified truck that's not 100%, you've placed yourself in Powerstroke purgatory... and you'll be asking the tuner to compensate for whatever isn't working right. It's essential to have the updateable features of the Hydra or the F6 so you can go the 12 rounds with the tunes. This will get your truck to the level of "tolerable"... maybe, but no amount of tuning can completely make up for an issue with the vehicle. To make things even more entertaining, if you ever fix the issue with the truck after you've tweaked the "Toleration" tunes... this will trigger a twitchy truck. This scenario is a recipe for an InEffective Diesel in your driveway.