Old 06-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
I remember hearing a while back that Ford was looking into a Large displacement gas V8 to fill the gap left by the now defunct (At least in the F-250 and F-350's) V-10. Essentially it was my understanding that Ford was considering boring out a 6.2L to 7.0L's or somewhere thereabouts.

But on the same note, I've also heard that Ford is considering giving a 5.0L the Ecoboost treatment and stuffing it under the hood of Superdutys with the same idea of it being the step up gas engine over the baseline 6.2L.

Who knows really...Only time will tell what they decide to do. Either way I think it would be pretty cool. But I don't see the 6.2L vanishing anytime soon. It might not make into the next gen F-150's, but even if that is the case, I think it will live on under the hood of new Superdutys for years to come. It wouldn't make sense for Ford to spend millions to develop a new engine and then discontinue it after only a few years of production.
I wonder if the Raptor will live on then? Eventhough it's a limited production vehicle, they sell every one of them & usually at sticker with no incentives.

The 3.5 EcoBoost while an awesome workhorse doesn't really fit the Raptors burly character or mission. The Raptor "Needs" a meaty V8 sound to fit the image. I personally feel putting an N/A 5.0L in the truck would be a step down, unless they pump it up to the Mustang BOSS 302 figures or something like that.