View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthr22 View Post
The handling felt rock solid. No sway, or bump steer. No "wagging the dog" from the trailer either. I was mostly worried about braking on the downhills. It took a few minutes to get used to braking technique with a brake controller vs. without. But I had two veteran pullers with me to talk me through it and answer any questions!
Downhill was no joke Ryan. All of us are fortunate that the brakes didn't fail until afterward, as there is absolutely no possible way the truck could have stopped that trailer without trailer brakes. It would have been an accident regardless of who was behind the wheel or what kind of truck was pulling it; working trailer brakes aren't optional with that kind of weight.

After the brake failure I'm thinking we need to change the route and not descend that hill again with a rental trailer...that's 2 out of the 3 times we've had brake failure with those rental trailers. We were a stroke of luck away from being on the evening news.

Quote:
On the uphill I was mostly nervous that I wouldn't get traction in 2wd. But there were no problems there. It was just slow going up the first part of the hill. But I feel good about how the truck did overall, considering the age of the engine/trans., 3.73 gearing, and being only 2wd.
Agree with you about traction, we've had situations before where 2WD trucks have gotten stuck with even less trailer weight. Matt's diesel truck couldn't hook up in 2WD either; had you had the same oversize tires we wouldn't have gone anywhere. Your bone stock truck handled that aspect better than the two lifted trucks we've run in the past.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced