F350 vs. F250 What's the difference ?..Please

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Dec-02 AT 11:22 AM (EST)]>boblamp,
>
>You're reply is a little misleading, especially if you're
>dealing with 5th wheel towing.
>
>While it's true that the GCWR of the F250 and F350 may be
>the same in certain situations, remember that tongue weight
>of the trailer counts toward the max payload of the truck.
>
>There is an explanation of this on the SD FAQ site. Maybe
>worth a look.
>
>Waxy

Waxy,

I did some checking at the various web sites (including the FAQ page you did, well done btw). Frankly, I think that the GCWR for the SDs is artifically low. Comparing the specs on the 1 ton duallys for the big 3, Ford has the lowest trailer rating.
I looked at the specs for 4x4 extended cab, long wheelbase diesels. The current Trailer towing specs from Ford list the F350 drw super cab 6.0 fifth wheel tow wieght at 12,600# regardless of gear ratio. Ford also keeps the GCWR at 20,000#. (Incidently, I still have copies of the 2000 and 2001 Ford Rv & Trailer Towing Guide and the current numbers are 300# lower than 2000)

GMC Durajap, same configuration.......14,900#. I didn't see a listing for the GCWR.

Dodge 5.9HO same configuration.........3.73 13,500# tow capacity and a GCWR of 21,000#

Dodge 5.9HO same configuration with the 4.10 15,500# tow capacity and a GCWR of 23,000#

I checked out the Western Diesel shoot out and the 6.0 PSD OUTPULLED AND OUTRAN all the others:7 !

Waxy, you and I both know that the Super Duty PSD is capable of far more than it is rated for. I see both Ford and Dodge duallys pulling tandem dual goosenecks (22k gvw) in the Laurel Mountains.
We also both know that a dually is going to be more stabil rolling down the road with a heavy trailer than a single rear wheel.

So bottom line, if I need to pull a 15k loaded trailer, do I buy the Dog with 4.10 gears? Or do I buy the F350 drw? Or do I spend more money and buy the F550 then pick up my teeth chips off the floor and head for the dentist office

Bob