Old 06-24-2013, 08:32 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
Believe it or not, the 6.2l is actually one of the newest engine architectures Ford has. The 6.2l (Boss platform) is newer than both the Ecoboost (Duratec based) and the 5.0 Coyote (modular based). While it might not make it to the next F150, you can bet it's going to stick around.

I have no doubt you're going to see a version replacing the 6.8l in the larger chassis cabs, likely with increased displacement. I can also foresee a lot of industrial applications. It's a stout design with actually less moving parts than a similar pushrod engine.
I remember hearing a while back that Ford was looking into a Large displacement gas V8 to fill the gap left by the now defunct (At least in the F-250 and F-350's) V-10. Essentially it was my understanding that Ford was considering boring out a 6.2L to 7.0L's or somewhere thereabouts.

But on the same note, I've also heard that Ford is considering giving a 5.0L the Ecoboost treatment and stuffing it under the hood of Superdutys with the same idea of it being the step up gas engine over the baseline 6.2L.

Who knows really...Only time will tell what they decide to do. Either way I think it would be pretty cool. But I don't see the 6.2L vanishing anytime soon. It might not make into the next gen F-150's, but even if that is the case, I think it will live on under the hood of new Superdutys for years to come. It wouldn't make sense for Ford to spend millions to develop a new engine and then discontinue it after only a few years of production.