View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 03:00 AM
brian1080
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If I figured up all the hours I have in labor on my truck to date, I'd be in the $10,000 range easily and it still has a ways to go. Even at a low shop rate of $65/hr I'd be up to another $10,000 pretty quick. Then you figure another $10,000 in parts/paint/etc, another $2,000 in motor/trans. Lets just say that building it myself has actually only cost me about $2,000 to date. By the time I'm done, not counting my labor as I see it as a hobby, not a job,, I'll have about $5,000 in it and it'll be worth 2-3x that. You spend $30,000 on a restoration and you'll be lucky if you can ever find someone to pay you anywhere near that.

knowhow - learning yourself on your own truck is very satisfying and not as hard as you think. These are some of the easiest trucks to work on.

initiative - make a list of things you would like done and a time frame to do it. You'll find initiative. Start looking online at more and more nice trucks, you'll start itching for yours to be done.

time - Do a little once a day, once a week, whenever. You'll find yourself working hours and not even realize how much time has passed.

patience - Non of us have that, that's what cussing/beer/blood is for. work on the engine for a while, then move to the cab. Don't focus on one thing and just have fun.