Thread: 6.2 ZF6 Swap?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.2 ZF6 Swap?

I'm starting to get a little curious about this. Almost too curious for my own good, actually.

Having had a manual truck before my 250, I really miss it. Tiptronic just doesn't do it anymore for me. The thought of getting rid of a 2011 to get an older truck, a little more loaded, with a stick shift is unsettling to me. Especially knowing with my budget I would wind up with a 6.0L, and would not like to buy something to turn and spend mega bucks modding it just for reliability. So I started digging. I have found no attempts at a manual transmission swap in a 2011+ F250/350 with a 6.2, or a 6.7. I have, however found a lot of information.

The truck in question is a 2011 F250, 4x4, 6.2L regular cab. It is an XL.

So far, I have found out the following:
-The ZF6 was found on various SD's, mainly popping up the awesome 7.3. Also the 6.0, and possibly the 5.4.

-The 6.2 is not the same block as a 5.4, but shares (possibly) the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 5.4 and the V10. These share the same patterns as the diesels.

-The ZF6 does not have a separate bellhousing, rather it is integrated. But, the pattern is the same as the 5.4 to the 6.0, as this transmission came with both.

-The V10 is listed in the 2011 owner's manual as an engine option, and I BELIEVE it mentions a manual transmission for such trucks. This is only on larger (F550+) and possibly foreign trucks.

-The new automatic that I have is a "smart" transmission, meaning it learns shift patterns and has a separate TCM. Some form of reprogramming would be in order.

I need information on the following: driveshaft sizes, crossmember locations, flywheel compatibility, clutch compatibility and hardware, transfer case compatibility, and anything i may be forgetting. I also do not know how a manual swap would take place, as far as the TCM is concerned.

I'm guessing I'm right in saying that I may be the first person with these questions. It is definitely a LOT of work, probably not worth it in the end, but it would make for something different. It would also probably be rather hard on the wallet to do so, which is why I'm trying to find out this information before going on.

Am I the only one with this idea?